- the inner tower, keep, or stronghold of a castle.
- They mounted through darkened chambers, up dizzy ladders, to the summit of the donjon.
- The moment the watchman, posted on the platform of the donjon, espied from afar a troop of travelers, he sounded his horn.
- The bishop emitted lamentable cries and essayed to resist the men who were dragging him into the donjon.
- Neroweg, silent as before, looked from time to time towards the donjon as if awaiting the return of the bailiff.
- The bailiff nodded affirmatively, crossed the drawbridge and entered the donjon.