- a secure or fortified place; stronghold: a mountain fastness.
- the state of being fixed or firm: the fastness of democratic institutions.
- the state of being rapid.
- With each description from the world’s best players about the beastliness of Augusta National on Thursday — its firmness, its fastness, its fickle wind — Justin Rose’s round gained more shine as it went along.
- Edwin had to brace himself again, for an assault upon the fastness of the stationmaster.
- And in the incredibly small and incredibly dirty fastness of the stationmaster, they indeed found a Bradshaw.
- After journeying for several days through a desert country, they reached Sechele's mountain fastness.
- Twice she heard large bodies moving in the tangled fastness about the clearing, but what made the sounds remained a mystery.
- Siegfried, the hero of the Nibelungen Lied, dwells in the mountain fastness of Geroldseck.