cloister 的 2 个定义
- a covered walk, especially in a religious institution, having an open arcade or colonnade usually opening onto a courtyard.
- a courtyard, especially in a religious institution, bordered with such walks.
- a place of religious seclusion, as a monastery or convent.
- to confine in a monastery or convent.
- to confine in retirement; seclude.
- to furnish with a cloister or covered walk.
- to convert into a monastery or convent.
secluded religious place
- The idea of the silence and solitude of the cloister inspired the highly-imaginative girl with a blaze of enthusiasm.
- Yes, I knew he would not be in, and so we left him lying down on the bench in the cloister till dinner was over.
- I am not sure whether a cloister or a prison, commanding a fine view, be preferable to one without.
- You will hear of him; he does not live in a cloister; he is always doing something for somebody.
- In the Cloister garden of the Cathedral are preserved a tesselated pavement and the sepulchral slab of a Roman warrior.