- a monastery under the supervision of an abbot or a convent under the supervision of an abbess.
- the group of buildings comprising such a monastery or convent.
- the church of an abbey.
building that houses monks, nuns, or priests; church
- The queen is sending Marie—an ungainly girl with large bones, and an illegitimate Plantagenet child to boot—to a far-off and troubled abbey, where Marie will become prioress.
- They display art and artifacts long in storage, set in a modern museum high above the Abbey nave.
- The Real-Life ‘Downton’ Millionairesses Who Changed BritainBy Tim Teeman Lady Grantham of ‘Downton Abbey’ is far from an anomaly.
- When ‘Downton Abbey’ returns Sunday night, its fashion fans are in for a familiar treat.
- It is the most animated this Downton Abbey fan has ever seen Lady Grantham.
- SURPRISES Downton Abbey You've got to be kidding me with this one.
- That's fine and well, until you see that Downton Abbey was nominated again.
- Cecilia says they were all talking of it at Maundrell Abbey, where of course it is a peculiarly interesting topic.
- Musical festival in Westminster abbey, in commemoration of the birthday of Handel.
- Thereupon the Prince went to Westminster Abbey and conferred knighthood upon his companions.
- The abbey gate still stands as a massive archway at one end of the river bridge.
- The dale gradually opens into a beautiful valley and here the old abbey is charmingly situated on the banks of the river.