- an edifice or place dedicated to the service or worship of a deity or deities.
- any of the three successive houses of worship in Jerusalem in use by the Jews in Biblical times, the first built by Solomon, the second by Zerubbabel, and the third by Herod.
- a synagogue, usually a Reform or Conservative one.
- an edifice erected as a place of public worship; a church, especially a large or imposing one.
- any place or object in which God dwells, as the body of a Christian. 1 Corinthians 6:19.
- a Protestant church.
- a building devoted to administering sacred ordinances, principally that of eternal marriage.
- a building, usually large or pretentious, devoted to some public use: a temple of music.
- either of two establishments of the medieval Templars, one in London and the other in Paris.
- either of two groups of buildings on the site of the Templars' former establishment in London, occupied by two of the Inns of Court.
- a building used by the Templars in the United States.
- a building used by any of various fraternal orders.
house of worship
- As humans cast about for ways to power our existence without tracking so much mud through nature’s spotless temple, there’s one approach that has been largely overlooked—evaporation.
- Temple is now general counsel of the Motion Picture Association.
- Experts still don’t know why the people of Mesa Verde gradually left in the late 1200s, but having their stories pumped into my earbuds as I strolled around abandoned temples and excavated stone dwellings truly breathed new life into them.
- Thirty-two women were sent to a lab and the rest to the local temple.
- Others, however, observe that Jesus claims that the Temple belongs to “my father’s house” – meaning his family – and as such cannot be taken as justification for destroying someone else’s possessions.
- Celebrities flocked to this glamorous and buzzy temple of literature and culture.
- The Satanic Temple wins these fights because they are small fights.
- The Satanic Temple won a battle to put a display in the Florida state capitol, but the religious right is fighting a bigger war.
- Ambassador Shirley Temple Black attributed this to the “deeply risk-averse psychology of the Czech people.”
- She says she met Cosby, a Temple alumnus and big-time donor to the university, in November 2002.
- This was a vast building of classical design, resembling a Grecian temple.
- A child outside the temple of art hears its music before he sees its veiled beauties.
- Simon the high priest, the son of Onias, who in his life propped up the house, and in his days fortified the temple.
- I prayed for her before the temple, and unto the very end I will seek after her, and she flourished as a grape soon ripe.
- A chair covered with red silk, borne on the shoulders of sixteen chair-men, passed up to the temple.