- a sacred or holy place.
- Judaism. the Biblical tabernacle or the Temple in Jerusalem.the holy of holies of these places of worship.
- an especially holy place in a temple or church.
- the part of a church around the altar; the chancel.
- a church or other sacred place where fugitives were formerly entitled to immunity from arrest.
- immunity afforded by refuge in such a place.
- any place of refuge; asylum.
- a tract of land where birds and wildlife, especially those hunted for sport, can breed and take refuge in safety from hunters.
church; holiest room or area in religious building
place to hide, be safe
safe place for wildlife
- These are basically “smart” tunnels that connect the outside environment with the interior sanctuary of the cells.
- Whitney said the organization should be a legitimate sanctuary and not involved in breeding, buying or selling wildlife.
- Sponsoring an animal is fun and fulfilling for kids and adults alike, and you can adopt an elephant through the Elephant Valley Project in Cambodia, a sanctuary for the formerly captive giants.
- Since the tiger’s vaccinations for rabies are up to date, the sanctuary is hopeful Kimba will not have to be put down.
- “This is a continuing effort to raise public awareness of the dangerous sanctuary state laws enacted by the state of California,” Archambeault said.
- He hits bottom at Rocamadour, a sanctuary in the Dordogne known as a citadel of faith devoted to Mary.
- “Sanctuary for all, community for all, etc, etc.” So he was on the road to community, you know?
- As Yellowstone bears increasingly wander outside the sanctuary of the park, they run an ever-greater risk of getting shot.
- The sanctuary the phantom callers promise comes with a price.
- Excessive tourism could lead to a more rapid destruction of this sanctuary.
- They have possessed thy holy people as nothing: our enemies have trodden down thy sanctuary.
- And he cast down the pieces of silver into the sanctuary, and departed; and he went away and hanged himself.
- Her little library was the sanctuary for all confidential conversation upon matters of state.
- This alludes to the figure of the cherubims in the sanctuary, which with stretched out wings covered the ark.-Ibid.
- And he brought me back to the way of the gate of the outward sanctuary, which looked towards the east: and it was shut.