- to hold or include within its volume or area: This glass contains water. This paddock contains our best horses.
- to be capable of holding; have capacity for: The room will contain 75 persons safely.
- to have as contents or constituent parts; comprise; include.
- to keep under proper control; restrain: He could not contain his amusement.
- to prevent or limit the expansion, influence, success, or advance of: to contain an epidemic.
- to succeed in preventing the spread of: efforts to contain water pollution.
- Mathematics. to be a multiple of; be divisible by, without a remainder: Ten contains five.
- to be equal to: A quart contains two pints.
hold back, control
- There was no right way to bite into a rice cake and definitely no good way to contain the stream of crumbs that rained down from the corners of my mouth.
- Probably the most explosive centered on the effort to contain the coronavirus pandemic this year.
- It contains a 7-megapixel camera on the front and a 12-megapixel camera on the back and is capable of taking 4K videos, which are better quality than high-definition.
- Holm and Rotenberg were surprised to find that their paper contained the insight needed to do a lot better.
- Next year the company plans to put out a quantum processor, called “eagle,” that contains 127 qubits.
- The sequels will contain anything from the Expanded Universe.
- Canned drinks like Mercy contain up 5,000 percent of the daily value of certain vitamins.
- They sacrifice their shelter to contain the walkers—and Judith gets her first action scene!
- Green plants in pre-flowering stages may contain significant protein but not fat.
- And while the stories may contain caveats, the initial headlines certainly did not.
- Selections for practice should be chosen which contain much variety of thought and feeling and are smooth in movement.
- Since this is a law of vibration, it is unscientific to speak of giving an overtone, for all tones contain overtones.
- The apocryphal gospels contain many, and some are preserved by Persian and Arabian poets.
- These globular masses usually contain many tubercle bacilli.
- (a) Epithelial casts contain epithelial cells from the renal tubules.