- any particular extent of space or surface; part: the dark areas in the painting; the dusty area of the room.
- a geographical region; tract: the Chicago area;the unsettled areas along the frontier.
- any section reserved for a specific function: the business area of a town;the dining area of a house.
- extent, range, or scope: inquiries that embrace the whole area of science.
- field of study, or a branch of a field of study: Related areas of inquiry often reflect borrowed notions.
- a piece of unoccupied ground; an open space.
- the space or site on which a building stands; the yard attached to or surrounding a house.
- British. areaway.
- the quantitative measure of a plane or curved surface; two-dimensional extent.
- Anatomy. a zone of the cerebral cortex having a specific function: The damage to Broca's area affected his speech.
extent, scope of a surface
- You can leave your main vehicle and camping gear at the site and explore the surrounding area, allowing you to access rivers and trailheads with ease.
- We’re seeing encouraging signs in different parts of the business, in some areas getting close to pre-pandemic levels.
- Voting procedures in your area may have changed because of the pandemic, so be aware of your options and make a voting plan now.
- The upper pop-top area provides over seven feet of standing room when cooking or hanging out and then transitions into a long, fold-down bed for two.
- This work includes areas related to activism, practice and policy, journalism, education, as well as programs and service.
- Historically the reelection rate for members of Congress is in the area of 95 percent.
- The benefits of incumbency are quite potent, especially in the all-important area of raising campaign funds.
- As he drove me back to the logging road, Frank told me about the area in his deep voice.
- His neighbors include some of the other designer outposts one finds speckled around the area.
- The area is 98 percent white, and the Klan has a strong foothold even to this very day.
- By their agreement with the owner, the Company have the right of mining under an area of 185 acres, at a royalty of 6d.
- If you did fail, you would try Exclusion, and you would find nothing which is the antithesis of the area of New York.
- The total area of land purchased for the carrying-out of the scheme is put at 215,317 square yds.
- That with the increased area of the pallet is why the lower notes of the organ were so hard to play.
- Considerable quantities of chromic iron are found on the hills in this area, which embraces about six hundred acres.