- a large or important town.
- an incorporated municipality, usually governed by a mayor and a board of aldermen or councilmen.
- the inhabitants of a city collectively: The entire city is mourning his death.
- a municipality of high rank, usually based on population.
- a borough, usually the seat of a bishop, upon which the dignity of the title has been conferred by the crown.
- the City, the major metropolitan center of a region; downtown: I'm going to the City to buy clothes and see a show.the commercial and financial area of London, England.
- a city-state.
- Slang. a place, person, or situation having certain features or characteristics: The party last night was Action City. That guy is dull city.
- The people leaving New York are disproportionately older, richer, more established professionals — people who need the city less.
- The video fueled a rumor that the Illinois National Guard was being sent to the city to put it on “lockdown.”
- Dueñas said authorities threatened him when he publicly questioned police mistreatment of LGBTQ people in Cárdenas, a city adjacent to Matanzas.
- In Delaware, Beebe Healthcare, a hospital in the city of Lewes that serves the Rehoboth Beach area, was one of five Delaware hospitals to receive a score of 100 in the 2020 Healthcare Equality Index report.
- They took over a big chunk of the city, 20 percent of the city.
- Throughout the fifties, in city after city, fluoridation became the subject of fierce debate.
- To put it rather uncharitably, the USPHS practiced a major dental experiment on a city full of unconsenting subjects.
- Today, the city is an Asian hipster outpost, with shopping malls, clothing boutiques, and mixologist-prepared cocktails.
- “I love my job and I love my city and I am committed to the work here,” he said in a statement.
- Saved from the public gallows, Weeks was virtually exiled from the city, and wound up in Mississippi, where he raised a family.
- This city stands upon almost two equal parts on each side the river that passes through.
- When she arrived she made a regular entry into the city in a coach all gold and glass, drawn by eight superb plumed horses.
- You see, I am the city undertaker, and the people are dying here so fast, that I can hardly supply the demand for coffins.
- Cheap as they are, they are a poorer speculation than even corner lots in a lithographic city of Nebraska or Oregon.
- The streets here are rather wide for an Italian city but would be deemed intolerably narrow in America.