- a clumsy, stupid person; lout.
- a simpleton; dunce; blockhead.
- Archaic. a deformed or mentally deficient child.a changeling.
person who is clumsy, stupid
- The big oaf is a couch potato, not a leader for the blind, or for the seeing.
- Shakespeare refers to elves as ouphes, which is the same word as oaf and was formerly spelt aulf.
- Gerda was out there still, with her brother and the oaf—whose name, Forrester had discovered, was Alvin Sherdlap.
- Strange to say, the oaf seemed to be shedding tears and the quick sympathy went out from Emily's bosom, in spite of the past.
- Then the oaf rose and looked down upon his work, with a childish pleasure.
- The oaf began muttering in a low, indistinct murmur, like one soothing a child.