- purlieus, environs or neighborhood.
- a place where one may range at large; confines or bounds.
- a person's haunt or resort.
- an outlying district or region, as of a town or city.
- a piece of land on the edge of a forest, originally land that, after having been included in a royal forest, was restored to private ownership, though still subject, in some respects, to the operation of the forest laws.
- The forest laws still applied in a modified manner to the purlieu.
- Eye of mocker has not seen, nor foot of unbeliever trod this purlieu, the last to receive his blessing.
- It is, in fact, a purlieu where the public-houses are overcrowded and the baths not places of great resort.
- They evidently deemed that a legal purlieu was a better place for 'pickings.'
- This favourite purlieu of London has larger books than mine devoted to its history.