- in a position behind a specified vessel or aircraft: The cutter was following close astern.
- in a backward direction: The steamer went astern at half speed.
- Boat after boat came up and made fast astern of the dandy vessel, and soon the decks were crowded with merry groups.
- His boat was astern, so he jumped over the counter and sculled himself straight to the Mission smack.
- The patrol-ship was on station; she was lost far astern before she could gather speed for pursuit.
- He had stood thus for some time, when turning round, and looking astern, the cutter was no longer to be seen.
- Then a wave would come aboard astern, rolling in and nearly filling the cockpit.