- a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole, as Dr. for Doctor,U.S. for United States,lb. for pound.
- an act of abbreviating; state or result of being abbreviated; reduction in length, duration, etc.; abridgment; summary: His abbreviation of his famous monograph, an enormous endeavor in itself, made an excellent introduction to the volume of collected essays of which he was the editor.
- a short phrase or reduced form used to represent a larger, more complex idea, situation, set of beliefs, etc.: “Freedom of speech” has become an abbreviation for a wealth of debate—and case law—about protesters' rights.The artist presented an abbreviation of line, plane, and curve; she creates breathtaking abstract representations of bodies you expect to leap off the canvas and start dancing.
abbreviation 的近义词 17 个
abbreviation 的反义词 5 个
- David-Jeremiah began with the pieces that include the abbreviations, the second of which expresses the same sentiment as the first, but rendered in Dallas slang.
- Hovering your mouse over a particular flag brings up the identifying abbreviation of the metric name and the recorded timing in milliseconds.
- A 2017 article in the Association for Psychological Science’s Observer, noted that the more abbreviations were explained and spelled out, the more interest readers had in the subject matter.
- Academic writing is usually jam-packed with sophisticated scientific concepts, but in recent decades studies have also become filled with endless acronyms and abbreviations.
- It’s a language full of abbreviations, initialisms, and acronyms.
- Speaking of D.H. Lawrence, T.C. Boyle, another ye of the double abbreviation, might be the man who writes most like him today.
- GTL (Jerseyan, n.)—the abbreviation for the guido way of life, which stands for gym, tanning, laundry.
- The desert creeps at the rate of fingernails; the abbreviation for street is the same as that for saint.
- I told him the abbreviation and he typed it into the computer, his face lighting up with epiphany before sending me on my way.
- "Empey" is her pet name for him, an abbreviation of "Emperor;" and he likes to hear her say it.
- As the word is now generally used it is an abbreviation of Pishu Huanu—Bird-dung.
- Have we here no specimens of abbreviation; no allusion in the prologue to "omissis qu videbantur superflua?"
- More probably the word is an abbreviation of Italian borghetto diminutive of borgo a “borough.”
- Abbreviation Left hand up, while the R foot is moving and the L hopping.