- a woman who is the superior of a convent of nuns.
等同于 mother superior
- Maria sings "My Favorite Things" in the abbey to Mother Abbess, not to the children.
- Heloise, abbess of the Paraclete, died; celebrated as the mistress of Abelard, and for her learning.
- The portrait of an abbess is to be seen in the left-hand corner; above is a row of ten figures—saints, bishops, and holy women.
- Bishop Fox in his injunctions in 1507 forbade sundry priests to hold any communication with the abbess or with any of the nuns.
- A true mother in God the abbess proved, and a dutiful and loving daughter was Æthelflæd.
- Sometimes the abbess was forbidden to take into the convent more than a certain number of nuns.