abeam / əˈbim /
abeam 的定义adv. 副词 adverb
- Nautical, Aeronautics. at right angles to the fore-and-aft line: The vessel was sailing with the wind directly abeam.
- directly abreast the middle of a ship's side.
- The Sally had crept up until she was almost abeam of the Surprise, and was gaining, ever so slowly, but surely.
- They had the wind almost abeam from the westward, and went along at a good clip in a smooth sea.
- In a short time we also kept away with the wind almost abeam, a point on which the Foam sailed her best.
- Ahead, abeam, on our quarter we looked, but nowhere could we discern the faintest trace of her.
- There was half a gale blowing on the 4th and though the wind was abeam, the sail was reefed and we moved quickly.